Labels


Tuesday 3 February 2009

Biology: "Immortal" Jellyfish



In polyp state



I just read... well weather I" just" read the article depends on when you [the reader] are reading this article. The article is on National Geographic about the Turritopsis dohrnii or "Immortal" Jellyfish.

Turritopsis typically reproduces the old-fashioned way, by the meeting of free-floating sperm and eggs. And most of the time they die the old-fashioned way too.

But when stressed, by starvation or damage the jellyfish turns itself into a bloblike cyst, which then develops into a polyp colony, essentially the first stage in jellyfish life.

The jellyfish's cells are often completely transformed in the process. Muscle cells can become nerve cells or even sperm or eggs.

Here is the link its a neat article.


I know sometimes links dont work so here is the URL just in case:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/01/090130-immortal-jellyfish-swarm.html

Sources: National Geographic

0 comments:

Followers

About This Blog

I am a grade nine student living in Mexico. This is my home school education blog. I post the things I learned during the week on this blog. I hope you can learn things from this too.




  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP