Labels


Monday 30 March 2009

Social Studies: First to see it?

It's 986, there is a ship bound for Greenland. It gets thrown off coarse by a storm into strange waters.

Bjarni Herjolfsson was commanding that ship. He was relived when he finally saw land. But the land was strange it didn't look like Greenland, it had small hills covered with forests.

His crew told him to land there, but he refused and went back ouy to sea for Greenland. Little did he know he had crossed the Atlantic and seen Canada.

Leif Ericson followed his route and became the first European to walk on America.

I know until reasently I had never heard of this Bjarni. Maybe I would have if he had gotten out of his boat.

Sources: Wikipedia
Greatest Stories Never Told by Rick Beyer

0 comments:

Followers

About This Blog

I am a grade nine student living in Mexico. This is my home school education blog. I post the things I learned during the week on this blog. I hope you can learn things from this too.




  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP