Friday, 14 November 2008

Biology: Ghost Fungus

Omphalotus nidiformis, or ghost fungus, is a gilled basidiomysete mushroom found in southern Australia most notable for its bioluminescent properties. Generally found growing on dead or dying trees, it is saprotroph and parasite. Bioluminecence in when a life form glows. Its scientific name is derived from the Latin nidus "nest", hence 'nest shaped'. The fruiting body of the ghost fungus can be found on dead or diseased wood, where it causes white heart rot. The cap is very variable in color, ranging from cream though often tinted with orange, brownish, greyish, purple or even bluish-black shades. Younger specimens are often darker. Growing up to 30 cm (12 in)

The Ghost fungus is poisonous. The poison in not fatal, but eating it can cause cramps and vomiting.

Sources: Wikipedia



About This Blog

I am a grade nine student living in Mexico. This is my home school education blog. I post the things I learned during the week on this blog. I hope you can learn things from this too.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by 2008

Back to TOP